My report from the technical conference.
For the first session of the last day, I went to Ask the Experts: Developer and customization experience with Peter Villadsen, Robert Badawy,and Joris de Gruyter. Quite the lineup!
Being an Ask the Experts, it had no set structure other than a Question & Answer format. Here are my scribbled notes on them. Note that it seemed everyone was sick & there was a lot of coughing during the questions and answers.
- Replicated DB’s: adding indexes, etc.
- Upgrade: prepare your code in 2012, split it in AX 7. Wiki has hints on code upgrade
- One solution with two projects: cut and paste across projects
- No need for remote based app / remote desktop
- Security and data
- DB replicas are read only, near real time. Can we query this? Not sure
- SSRS still used, pretty unchanged. We don’t yet support extensions on reports
- Jobs – now class – static void main(Args) and set as startup. Alternatively for data update you can create a data project. Use the data management framework
- Alternative to SSIS: Whole new world of BI. Use Wiki > Analytics
- Move elements to different model? Yes. In projects via cut and paste. Alternatively just move the files. While you’re doing that, consider creating extensions.
- Wiki > Developer > Code migration > Prepare to migrate
- Something how long it takes to run. Load balancing, zero downtime, deployment – automated on our end but manual work on Microsoft’s end. They are improving.
- Printers – still support ZPL / zebra. Install an app locally that has access to printers
- Extensions – there is a metadata API. It’s all file based.
- How to develop. We do not recommend or support development in a shared AOS. Multiple developers can be on the same box. You can also duplicate the modelstore: Copy the packages folder in C:\ or J:\
- XLNT framework? Use Raw API and somewhat raw API
- Deploying deltas. If you overlay, it contains models underneath it
- Unit tests. You can write unit tests. Remember that testing is very data bound. Microsoft test code is large
- Multiple developers on the same box. Production database copied to development box – talks are ongoing
- How browser connects to server. Use SysOperation framework. Use cancel button
- Models, XML files are design time concept. Labels have no IDs now. You should name your labels
- Explanation of packages and extensions. In the file system you see packages when you create an extension. You create a new package.
- Copy of production database that’s not being refreshed for sandbox – the features exist, are currently being worked on.
- Code refactoring. There are not very good tools. Macros cause issues.
Here I need to give a shout out to the guy with the great shoes! Keep on stylin’!